Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A letter from those who said "You Gotta Believe"



With permission, here is a letter written by Rodger Monk and Ron Cobb almost immediately following the AAU Reunion. I'll add more pictures since my slideshow is taking so long. A great time was had by all. Seeing each other again brought back so many wonderful memories, and I believe a bond is there that transcends time. There was real respect, admiration, and love for our coaches not only from the players but from their parents as well. That tells a story in itself, whether we were standing in the shadows of some tall hardware or not. (above photo illustration by Rachel Bush... click pictures to enlarge) -AS.


Willie Jenkins puts his big arm around Ron Cobb Saturday. Willie was a strong, stern athlete growing up, but he was all love on Friday and Saturday.

Guys, Ron and I just want to thank everyone that came to the AAU reunion........it was so nice to see everyone again ......plus now you guys have a family....and wow.....what nice looking kids. It was nice to see how much love everyone had towards each other........Ronnie Cobb and I both never dreamed that you players would keep so close and look out for each other as you do.( remember 75-year old Ronnie is still helping with basketball and the AAU ) ............as I was snapping pictures I noticed Gay Elmore was holding hands with his wife as they headed to the food line.......you would think after 4 children she would run away from him.....(just kidding Gay) ..........I'm not sure who has fathered the most but Jeff Overstreet had several in his party and I expect he might have that honor........Joey Bowles was a hoot as usual ...............and Mike Reed Jr. could go on stage with Jay Lenno.........(Oh where is Larry Bryson) .......Mike Reed Sr. had so many kind words for Ronnie and I......it was heart touching............I learned that J.T. Morris is playing an important part in keeping America safe.....it was great to see Sandy Morris as she was always a great supporter.....................Mark Cline made it to both nights and Mark invited me to a game if I could make it out......lets hope that Mark returns somewhere close so we can go see a game together ( I see Mark coaching in the Pro's soon) ....(good luck Mark) .....great to see Mark's mother again...........Ronnie Dawson has changed so much.......I now
know ...I'm his father....(same hair doo) ....he was a great host and has a soft heart......(thanks for the golf ride home) (and thanks to Walker for the golf ride down the hill) .......Alex Nagy was his usual self......I think he made a few side bets on the golf course and took Mawyer and Dr. Walker for a few bucks.......On Friday Hubie Brooks made it to the Power Alley as did Jeff and Brian Eddy........speaking of Eddys...Elmore was babysitting one of Eddy's daughters on Saturday ....( call that networking) ........Steve Vortholt and his family made it.....great to see them doing well....(spoke to his father by phone) Ron and I coached him since he was in the fifth grade.........Brett Harrison made it .........and he still looks the same........Of all the people that changed the most was Bruz.........I just couldn't put his face with the name.....he looks great !!........plus his mother came.....and great supporter........
How about Jenkins....was he working the room.......when we got ready to take pictures I thought he was going to pick me up out of my seat.......darn he's a big man..................Buster made it Friday night and I had been wanting to see him for such a long time.......he has some health issues but he is still on top of his game....Buster son will be playing for Capitol this year.....(gosh a repeat--Elmore's against Buster's kid) ..Andy Spradling and his crew...wow......Andy’s children are movie stars......and will be on TV someday......It was nice to chat with Andy’s father and mother............and thank Andy's wife for taking 1000 pictures......I know I will be leaving someone out but maybe after my cobwebs clear... I'll write more..........I hope I can hook Buster and Ronnie D up someday so for a lunch or dinner before I head back to Florida.......(they were good AAU buddys) let me know if anyone else wants to do the lunch....
I want to especially thank Andy for all his efforts because it took 18 months to pull this thing off.......his time and money.......I wish that everyone could have made it .......but some players live so far away and some had trips they could not work around....( we were thinking of them anyway) ........and for everyone looking out for me. both days.........hoping I didn't crash into some chairs or the floor.......some were even holding their breath.......hopefully the next time we meet I'll be over my health problems.......................I'll be heading back to Florida soon and if I can help anyone please call on me................may my heart always be with you !!! ....I could listen to your stories all night......Please-please keep in contact ..........I really want to hear more about your familys and what they are doing...so shoot me an email when they are(children) doing soccer-football-basketball-baseball-fishing or whatever- I don't have everyone email so pass this to the other guys.............

Rodger Monk
Ron Cobb

My son, Evan, and I stop to pose with Rodger (right) and my father, Alan Spradling, at Sleepy Hollow Saturday evening. The parents played such a big part of those title teams because for one, as I said that night, AAU trips were often our family's only vacation. Plus, we weren't driving. It was a committment for everybody, but especially for these next two guys...

When do you ever see two guys from Logan and Williamson arm in arm? Well, sure, if they've won a national title together. We had a great time playing golf at Sleepy Hollow Saturday, and here is some of the evidence, Alex Nagy and Mark Cline, definitely the golfers in our group which included Bruz, Mike, and myself. Mark is about a... four handicap, was it?

Bruz has a serious look of determination heading for the teebox; Mike has a look I more often saw in high school, and the activities surrounding it. We had many, many good times growing up...

The winning group: J.T. Morris, Dave Walker, our host, Ron Dawson, and John Mawyer. In a scrambles match, these guys shot a 60 at Sleepy Hollow, two strokes better than our fivesome. Dave and John were teammates on South Charleston squads that went to at least two state tournaments. John was on the '78 team that almost won it all in Iowa. Dave and John both went to New Orleans in '80. That was a trip for the books.


No comments:

Post a Comment